The quality of the indoor air we breathe could contain varying levels of pollutants from a wide array of sources. Some of the more common pollutants that are found in indoor air include:
- Pet Dander – Pets shed skin, just like humans. Some pets have dry skin conditions, which further increases the amount of dander that gets into bedding, carpets, and furniture.
- Dust – Dust is common in all homes, but higher levels reduce air quality.
- Dust Mites – Dust mites are also found in virtually every home. They are tiny bugs the size of dust that eat dead skin cells shed by humans and pets.
- Pest Excrement – Excrement from rats, mice, and other rodents, as well as ants, termites, and dust mites, are considered biological pollutants. Not only can they reduce air quality, but certain types can also be full of bacteria, viruses, and other toxins.
- Pollen – Pollen from trees, shrubs, and plants can get inside the home on clothing, as well as through air leaks.
- Mold and Mildew – Mold and mildew grow in dark, warm, and moist areas and create health hazards.
- Gases – Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can be a problem in certain homes.
- Chemicals – The chemicals in cleaning products, furniture polishes, paints, varnishes, glues, and so on, can release fumes that pollute indoor air.
Each of these pollutants can also trigger allergies in some people. For people with asthma and respiratory problems, indoor air pollutants can aggravate these conditions and make them worse. In addition, depending upon the type of pollutants, the risks for diseases and illnesses can be greater.
Most of these pollutants can be controlled using various methods, which we will discuss in greater detail in our next blog segment. However, for most pests and pest excrement, resolving infestations within the home is best left to a professional pest control company, like MightyMite Termite Services. We utilize safe removal and treatment methods to address pest infestations and cleanup of pest excrement. Contact us at 408-377-3761 now to arrange a free pest inspection of your home.